5 Online Writers that Changed the Way I Think

by stevew on April 6, 2010

Post image for 5 Online Writers that Changed the Way I Think

Most people want to be better at what they do, more successful, more fulfilled, wiser, smarter, cooler, whatever… … and I’m no different. I fuel this quest for self-improvement by reading other people’s writing, mostly through blogs (although I read a fair few business books too). The trouble with the ‘blogosphere’ is that the signal-to-noise ratio is pretty low, so I thought it would be interesting to list out 5 sources of genuinely thought-provoking material. I’ve picked out a specific article as a starting point, but these writers are people who have challenged the status quo in my mind, and caused me to evaluate my approach to a specific area of business.

In no particular order, they are:

1. Seth Godin‘s The Reason You’re Stuck (and the one best way to avoid the six ways that will keep you stuck)

It was through Seth’s guest post on the excellent Zen Habits blog that I got to hear of “The Resistance”, the thing inside of any artist that keeps them from shipping. Seth often references Steven Pressfield, who first pinpointed The Resistance in his somewhat unorthodox book The War of Art (highly recommended). Researching for this post, I came across Seth presenting on the subject on video here – it’s well worth 18 minutes of your time.

2. Jason Cohen‘s Your idea sucks, now go do it anyway

When you start a new business, unless you’re the sort of person who is 100% drive-and-optimism (in which case I, in equal parts, hold you in awe and in contempt), the inevitable self-doubts come to call. One of the big fears is “my idea isn’t good enough to build a business out of”. Jason answers this question very eloquently – in short, it really doesn’t matter (although I have argued elsewhere that it does matter a little). As someone who has built and sold at least one successful business, Jason has a lot of great insights on his blog.

3. Steve Pavlina‘s 10 Reasons You Should Never Get a Job

As I’ve said before, I don’t agree with everything Steve writes or believes, but when I read this post he published in 2006, it made me think long and hard about my attitude to being employed. As I noted in this article, our current business structures would collapse if nobody was prepared to work for someone else, but I think you should ask yourself regularly whether your job is helping you achieve your personal goals, at the pace you desire, or if perhaps jumping from the security of the corporate ladder would give you the opportunity to achieve so much more.  (Another recommended article on his blog is about getting up when the alarm goes off – especially the insight about your “5.00am brain”.)

4. Paul Graham‘s How to Make Wealth

In this essay, Paul explains the fundamental economics of start-ups, why it’s possible to generate significantly larger amounts of money per capita than in ‘regular’ businesses. He makes it clear that whilst there is no free lunch, many factors conspire to make being part of a start-up a great way to achieve financial freedom in a relatively short amount of time. Having been on both sides of the entrepreneur/VC fence, Paul has plenty of good insight and advice to offer in his essays.

5. Kathy Sierra‘s Why marketing should make the manuals!

This is just one of the many insightful articles at Kathy’s Creating Passionate Users site, where she offers a very unique perspective on product design and usability. It was through her writing I came to see that making your users look good and/or feel good as a result of using your product was a great way to build brand loyalty. (Sadly Kathy Sierra doesn’t write any more after an unpleasant online incident in 2007, but I was lucky enough to hear her speak at the Business of Software Conference 2009 – some brief notes from the talk are here, but hopefully the video will go up on the conference site soon.)

I hope readers find one or two of these useful.

Where to go from here

Since my last post, I have issued our first press release on the FIXatdl Jump-Start service – it generated some interest in the media, but not much in the way of new business (yet, at least). Now I have some idea of where the business is going (a few of my instruments are working, even if visibility is still lousy), I plan to split my writing time between working on this blog and writing a series of articles on algorithmic trading and FIXatdl. That probably means shorter (although hopefully more regular) blog posts, but I should also be able to generate some content that is useful to people working in the same niche. My intention in keeping the two areas separate is that less people will be bored by stuff that isn’t relevant to them – please let me know how I’m doing.

Are there online writers you particularly enjoy, or that have caused you to change the way you think for the better? Please leave a comment and let me know.

Post to Twitter Post to Delicious Post to Digg Post to StumbleUpon

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

google plus account login June 3, 2014 at 3:47 am

I am curious to find out what blog system you’re using?
I’m having some small security issues with my latest website and I’d like to find something more
safeguarded. Do you have any solutions?
google plus account login´s last [type] ..google plus account login

http://thronerushhackfreedownload.blogspot.com June 18, 2014 at 7:04 pm

The King’s Speech
. There is a bloody scene. No one really explained.
http://thronerushhackfreedownload.blogspot.com´s last [type] ..http://thronerushhackfreedownload.blogspot.com

online traffic plan June 23, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Thanks for finally talking about >5 Online Writers
that Changed the Way I Think <Liked it!
online traffic plan´s last [type] ..online traffic plan

boys pants June 27, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Your style is very unique in comparison to other folks I have read stuff from.
Many thanks for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I’ll just book
mark this site.
boys pants´s last [type] ..boys pants

http://youtu.be July 1, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Please let me kmow if you’re looking for a writer for yourr blog.
You have some really good articles and I believe Iwould be a good asset.
If you ever want to take some off tthe load off, I’d rally like to write some content for your blog
in exchange for a link back to mine.Please send me an e-mail iff interested.
Regards!
http://youtu.be´s last [type] ..http://youtu.be

portsmouth high school band July 2, 2014 at 9:07 am

Self-mutilation has been a problem that has existed for a long
time. ‘Changes in You and Me: A Book About Puberty
Mostly for Boys’ Paulette Bourgeois and Martin Wolfish.

That girl’s father was waiting to pick his daughter up from the dance and could not find her.
portsmouth high school band´s last [type] ..portsmouth high school band

www.zero-zero.it July 8, 2014 at 11:23 am

Smiling, McCombs recalled that Orbelo bristled, responding, “I will have you know, I am not a con man. This is more than a side business; I’ve loved this all of my life.”

Fountainhead Condos For Sale July 10, 2014 at 6:58 am

I constantly spent my half an hour to read this website’s content every day along with a mug of coffee.
Fountainhead Condos For Sale´s last [type] ..Fountainhead Condos For Sale

Ceinews.com July 14, 2014 at 11:21 am

Howdy! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you
knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one?
Thanks a lot!
Ceinews.com´s last [type] ..Ceinews.com

www.facebook.com July 20, 2014 at 10:46 am

Stunning story there. What occurred after?
Thanks!
http://www.facebook.com´s last [type] ..http://www.facebook.com

d w dry herb wispr vaporizer amazon August 30, 2014 at 1:42 am

If you know how to make chicken soup from scratch
at home, this is fantastic for your terrier. external
hemorrhoids can be felt and seen, whereas internal hemorrhoids can only be felt.
Howsoever it is must to check out the reviews of a particular portable vaporizer
before finalizing it.
d w dry herb wispr vaporizer amazon´s last [type] ..d w dry herb wispr vaporizer amazon

cheap personalized wine glasses for bridesmaids September 6, 2014 at 11:26 am

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I’ve truly enjoyed surfing
around your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!
cheap personalized wine glasses for bridesmaids´s last [type] ..cheap personalized wine glasses for bridesmaids

corporate sales leads September 7, 2014 at 1:00 am

An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a coworker who had been doing a little research
on this. And he actually ordered me dinner due to the fact
that I stumbled upon it for him… lol. So allow
me to reword this…. Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time
to talk about this issue here on your web page.
corporate sales leads´s last [type] ..corporate sales leads

shisha pen shop review October 6, 2014 at 11:41 am

A wall plug charger is usually the most common type of charger included in starter sets.
It is non-tobacco and non-inflammable product and it does not have any harmful effects that
are often found in traditional smoking. About two weeks after my amazing transformation from near pack-a-day smoker
to smoking electronic cigarettes, the 3-piece was turning into a piece of you
know what.
shisha pen shop review´s last [type] ..shisha pen shop review

vicks waterless vaporizer at walmart October 7, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Avoid utilization of beverages containing caffeine and alcohol.
Lightweight and durable, the Easy Vape is produced with high
quality polycarbonate components plus the latest
in ground glass technology. The method that this occurs is rather complex but they can be explained within simple terms.
vicks waterless vaporizer at walmart´s last [type] ..vicks waterless vaporizer at walmart